here for printer-friendly version.
Daniel Ben-Zvi (pronounced "BenzVee") is a respected mediator. One of 32 "Power Mediators" worldwide [Hollywood Reporter, 2007], he has mediated more than 1,800 disputes. Mr. Ben-Zvi, admitted to five Bars, draws on 20 years as a multi-state trial lawyer and more than 15 years as a mediator to resolve complex disputes. This "warrior-turned-peacemaker", as The Daily Journal describes him, brings a unique blend of persistence and creativity to ending bitterly fought lawsuits.
Mr. Ben-Zvi co-authored a book, "Inside the MindsĖAlternative Dispute Resolution", writes articles and lectures on dispute resolution. Mr. Ben-Zviís creativity even led him to be a writer on the television show "L.A. Law".
1981 JD, Cardozo School of Law
1978 BA, Rutgers University (Honors, Economics)
DISPUTE RESOLUTION EXPERIENCE
Mr. Ben-Zvi has mediated over 1,800 cases on the panels of ADR Services, Alternative Resolution Centers (ARC), Institute of Conflict Management, World Intellectual Property Organization and DB Mediation Services.
- Author, "Nine Ways for Counsel to Prepare for Mediation" Daily Journal, April 8, 2011
- Co-Author, "Inside the Minds - Alternative Dispute Resolution" (Aspatore Press; Boston 2004), Co-authors include J.Brian Casey, Baker & McKenzie and Judith Korchin, Holland & Knight.
- Author, articles on mediation and litigation topics, including an overview of mediation "The Mediation Revolution" (CLA, CA; 2004).
- Profiled several times as Featured Neutral in the Daily Journal; 2001, 2005 and 2008.
- Lecturer at Southern California Mediation Associationís annual conferences and seminars at the Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution, Pepperdine University.
- Lecturer on mediation topics at Bar Associations of Los Angeles, Ventura and San Francisco and at Law Schools of UCLA, Loyola, Southwestern.
- Lecturer on "Mediation in the Real Estate Industry".
- Keynote speaker, California Lawyers for the Artsí annual conference  on Mediation in the Film and Television Industry and panelist in other years.
- Featured Mediator on television including "Mediation Behind Closed Doors", "Saving the American Dream", "Law Talk" and consultant Neutral on ABC news.
- Featured Mediator on radio including "The Dennis Prager Show" and "The CBS Business Hour".
AWARDS AND ASSOCIATIONS
- Distinguished Fellow, International Academy of Mediators.
- Chairman, "Los Angelesí Annual Mediation Day", on behalf of the Mayor and the City Council of Los Angeles to promote mediation, since 2005. Annual speech given by Daniel Ben-Zvi on status of dispute resolution in televised City Hall session, together with leaders in the legal, political and mediation communities.
- "Power Mediator" 1 of 32 Best International List, Hollywood Reporter.
- Diplomat Member, California Academy of Distinguished Neutrals.
- Honoree, Southern California Mediation Association's (SCMA) annual Employment Mediation Conference, 2005.
- Admitted to the Bars of California, New York, Washington DC, New Jersey, and Connecticut.
- Participant, "Masterís Forum", Straus Institute for Dispute Resolution.
- Participant, "Harvard Negotiation Initiative Institute", Harvard Law School.
JUDICIAL AND LEGAL EXPERIENCE
- Judge Pro Tempore, Los Angeles Superior Court, from 2002.
- Judge, Annual National Negotiation Competition, American Bar Association, Law Student Division.
- Litigator representing plaintiffs and defendants, law firms based in Connecticut (Ribicoff & Kotkin) and Washington, DC and California (Schmeltzer, Aptaker & Shepard).
- Extern, Bankruptcy Judge Burton Lifland, Federal Bankruptcy Court, Southern District New York, 1980-1981.
Daniel Ben-Zvi, Esq. has experience as a neutral in the following civil matters:
Libel & Slander
Personal Injury / Torts
Trusts and Estates